Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bennett is Here!

Bennett Scott Dunkley was born about a week early on June 3rd. It was very unexpected. I thought for sure that I was going to be late but Bennett couldn't wait any longer. On Thursday I was over at my in laws just chatting and I kept telling Brady when I was having a contraction, they weren't big but it seemed like I was having them more. Kevin my father in law said "he will probably come tonight" implying that it would be just my luck because my mom had just left for a 2 week trip to Europe my dad was in California with my 2 brothers scuba diving, and my Dr. was in Lake Powell. I was not worried though. Later that night (around 9) Brady and I were watching a movie and contractions were coming every ten minutes, I thought it was false labor and was still not concerned. I tried to sleep but to no prevail. I stayed up all night with contractions getting more intense and closer together, I took my mother in laws advice of taking a shower in case I do have to go to the hospital, so after my 2 o clock shower I tried to tough out the contractions that were coming every 5-6 minutes now but knew it was time to go in. I woke up Brady and his response was "are you kidding?" "yeah I'm kidding" I said and then had a contraction right then, he then knew I was not kidding. I was grabbing all the bags and stuff and then I see Brady getting ready to take a shower....Really???? Yes, I had to wait for Brady to take a shower to go the hospital. It was a very fast shower though so no big deal. We got the the hospital around 2:44 and I was so nervous that I was going to be sent home but lucky after being monitored for a hour I progressed from a 3 to a 4 which is what they needed to see to admit me. Another hour passed and I was to a 5 then I got the lovely epidural. I honestly do not know how people did it/ do it with out medication, gosh I am in awe of all of you. But the bad part was that the epidural did slow down my progression I was at a 5 for a good couple hours, then a six for a while and the Dr. thought that since I was now progressing slowly he wasn't going to check me for a while. about an hour later I started feeling some intense pressure in my upper leg I told the nurse so she checked and found out I was to a nine, but the baby was facing up so I had to turn on my side, then the pressure went to my back along with my leg, (Bennett was dropping and turning) the pressure was not fun and I was a little annoyed that the epidural was not working for it, but not really because I knew Bennett was doing his thing. The nurse came in with the Dr. and had me do some practice pushes, and then they said that I was ready. They all left to get scrubs on, when they came back I did a couple more pushes and the Dr. said "oh I better get my gown on, he is coming" so as he was turned around all the other nurses kept telling me to push so I kept pushing. Before I knew it I felt this pop and heard some gasps and shrieks Bennett's head popped out and the Dr. wasn't there to catch him. Lucky he was just a arms lengths away and got him before the rest of Bennett flopped out. It only took 6 minutes of pushing so about 3 contractions for Bennett to come out. I can't express the feeling I had when I saw my precious baby for the first time, all I wanted was to have him in my arms. His cry was the cutest thing I have ever heard, and when I finally had him in my arms I didn't want that moment to end. It was the greatest feeling in the world. All in all the whole experience was so great but it will be a while until I experience it again.



This was taken right before we left for the hospital and as you can tell I was just about to have a contraction.


Feeling good once the epidural was in.


Love having my baby




He was 7 pounds 1 ounce




This is mt favorite picture, i mean how handsome is he?


Brady's very first diaper change


Grandpa with his grandkids


Grandma and Grandpa Dunkley


Great G&G whitehead


Love this


no clothes car seat ride




I love this picture, he does this face so much, and i love it.


And he has only been with us for 11 days, I wonder how many pictures we will go through.

5 comments:

Christie Moss and Brenden said...

Congrats he is adorable! Glad everything went pretty good!

KaraCampbell said...

Aw I love that last picture too! What a cute little face! I think it's time for another Bennett fix.

Tess Hoopes said...

He is So cute! So happy for you guys!

Stout Family said...

Tears...ohh I'm so excited for this! You are way too beautiful in these pictures haha. Congratulations! He is perfect!

Kurt and Shelli Barnum said...

Congrats!!! I wish it was my time now!!! Makes me really excited for Ben to get here. :-) So glad you have your story documented!! I love the pic just before you left for the hospital... what a great idea. Congrats! So glad everyone is healthy and doing well. :-) I am all for the epidural too. :-)